Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Dreaded English 111

Fun Times in Section 53

As my English class is coming to a close I was wondering if it felt like, because my English instructor before this was very adamant on telling us how hard English 111 was going to be. Although is some cases I thought it was difficult at time I never really dislike or hated either the class or the instructor. To give you some history in not very astute when it comes to reading and writing anything halfway decent ever all throughout high school was always just barely passing every year. Those times were so traumatic I never really had the urge to pick up a book or write anything because I was afraid that they would just bust their pen over my paper to blot out my nonsense. Going to TCC, Tidewater Community College, was probably the best things I could have done because if I wouldn’t have been in this class I might have failed.

This class was a real confidence builder and humbling for me. In high school I never really applied myself as much as I should have and this resulted in alright grades and a wait list at VMI, otherwise known as the college of my dreams. This class was something different and first impressions were quite interesting. My instructor whom had a bushy beard was deceiving due to the fact that many people with beards are either really snobby like having a beard comb and brushing it all the time or really crazy like new teaching styles with guitars. It had rather confused me but I knew I was in good company after we introduced ourselves by finding out that there were many military guys in there and the instructor was actually quite humorous at times.

My instructor was very interesting like I said before he a awesome beard and was actually humorous. I was wondering if he was like this all the time or just to have a false sense of security then be let down whenever he starts yelling. He had a very unique teaching style, one big reason was because he didn’t use the text book that we “had to have” for the course. Through music and reading sample essays from well published authors and some not so well published prior students we would pull information out to apply or not apply to our papers. We also listen to many songs that portrayed many different types of actual writing styles and techniques. As much as would want to complain I don’t have much against him other than being a push over he is a really great guy.

Having said that due to his ability of pushing him over everyone would gang up on him to change dates and other things resulting in extra stress for me and I’m sure for others. There were many times he push back dates for just one person in the class. That’s nice everything but now you have everything due at the course putting undue pressure on people with more than 12 or 15 credits. Not only is it stress full on some of us but it’s extremely stressful to the instructor because I’m sure they have a deadline that they have to get these grades in by and compacting them right at the end of the course is just not good. Even in the last days of this class which seem horrible due to the stress the class over all was a great experience.

Through I felt close to failing good first impressions, great instructor, and a little bit of stress got me through the course happy that I chose this section. My instructor’s funny humor pushed me through the night class without putting me to sleep. His curriculum helped me learn the very same stuff as the other instructors but had a very interesting flare also keeping it interesting. Yes, even the stress pushed me through as hard as it is it is character building and well worth the final push. Some might say is was horrible but they didn’t see that the instructor went way out of his was for them, but I appreciate everything he did for me and I hope to see him again even as my instructor.

2 comments:

  1. I don't recall pushing back due dates for any one student, aside from the fact that due dates are the final dates of submission, when assignments can be started and completed ahead of time.

    I'm glad the beard didn't keep you from coming to class and kept you awake. Small children are sometimes frightened by it. I consider this to be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he meant you pushed back the date for everyone because one person asked/whined/whatevered.

    That may or may not be true. My memory is a little hazy now that it's all over. Kind of like giving birth... Not that I've ever done that...

    ReplyDelete